cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extracting/Transfering vlan.dat from 4506 SupIV to SupV

swharvey
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 4506 SupIV with several vlans, and want to move the vlan.dat file from the old Sup to the new. In addition, the new SupV actually has existing vlans on it I wish to delete.

I tried copying the vlan.dat file from the old SupIV in the cat4000_flash: to a tftp server, then replacing the file on the SupV. The vlan.dat file downloaded and over-wrote the file on the SupV, but the vlans did not update, even after rebooting the switch.

Any idea the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-Scott

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easiest way is changing the VTP mode from VTP Server or Client to VTP Transparent.

On Transparent mode, you will have the Vlan information in the running config. Just copy that portion of the config onto notepad, replace the Sup, change the new Sup to VTP Transparent and paste the configuration.

You can also remove the unwanted Vlans from the configuration on this mode, then change it back to VTP server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/13ew/configuration/guide/vtp.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison for the option. I didn't want to change our production VTP server to transparent, so I found this other alternative:

Copy the vlan.dat file from the cat4000_flash: directory to a tftp server, then copy it (overwiting the old vlan.dat) into the new switch and reload the switch.

Note: I found that the IOS version must be the same in both switches for the vlan.dat to work.

Thanks again,

-Scott

teamdv6199
Level 1
Level 1

Next time post the solution. its copy vlan.dat tftp://ip/vlan.dat

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card