UC 500 QoS issue

Unanswered Question
Mar 28th, 2008

Hi all,

I have been working under the impression that the UC 500 voice vlan had QoS applied so that voice traffic was priortized. However, I am going through acceptance testing with a client and they have found that if they do certain things on the network, voice goes down the tubes. Is there a setting within the CCA for this? Any suggestions on how to quickly and easily apply QoS to voice traffic?


I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
matthewpage Mon, 03/31/2008 - 12:11

HI,Yeah through the cca you can use the smartport configuration. It will then dynamically assign qos to the port.

Are you sending calls over the wan/internet? what sort of sceniro are you seeing the call quality drop??

If the calls are just going over the internal network you shouldnt really have any problem as every thing will be using 100mb at least.

velocitystorm Mon, 03/31/2008 - 21:02

No, the calls are not being sent over the Internet. We have a PRI.

The smartports were setup as IP Phone + Desktop. I did have desktops on the phone PC port, but I just moved those off over the weekend in order to make sure that wasn't the issue. Could that have caused the problem?

We are seeing the problem intermittently. One day a woman was streaming Internet Radio to her machine and everyone had an issue with choppy calls. It is strange. Also, this is a very small office, i.e. 6 people and 14 phones, so, at most, 6 lines used. It seems like there shouldn't be an issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the input!

matthewpage Tue, 04/01/2008 - 01:53

Hi, I really dont think you should have a problem. Even if the person is streaming it would only be using up a few 100kb of bandwidth.

Maybe you can check the utilization of the interfaces and see whats actually going on. See whats sucking up all the bandwidth. Products like fluke or traceroute express might beable to help with that.


velocitystorm Wed, 04/02/2008 - 14:55

It seems that having the computers on the back of the phones was the cause of the problem. The new switch took care of the issue. The only person having trouble still is the person we couldn't move to dedicated lines (yet).

I did look at utilization and it wasn't high at all so I am not sure if the data from the pcs on the back of the phone were going onto the voice vlan or what.


This Discussion