cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF and policy based routing

bsudol79p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just want to confirm with an expert about CEF. I am configuring policy based routing and I read that if I use policy based routing, the fast switching will not work on some of the commands such as set "ip default next-hop" and "set default interface" but it did not say anything about if it will not work with CEF. Can anyone confirm this. Also I want to do PBR that routes users to internet is there any difference if I use " set interface" and "set ip next hop x.x.x.x" It says the the ip next hop is used for BGP. Is there any difference? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had implemented CEF with extensive PBR configuration for one of our customers a while ago and don't remember seeing any limitations with regard to PBR. Those limitations that apply fast switching as far PBR is concerned mayn't be applicable to CEF as it's cisco recommended switching type and has more functionality built-in than fast swtiching.

As far as your second question is concerned you can use both 'set ip next-hop' or 'set interface' and either one would work for PBR. However, 'set ip next-hop' would be a better option as you may have some issues when 'set interface' is used in certain situations.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

I had implemented CEF with extensive PBR configuration for one of our customers a while ago and don't remember seeing any limitations with regard to PBR. Those limitations that apply fast switching as far PBR is concerned mayn't be applicable to CEF as it's cisco recommended switching type and has more functionality built-in than fast swtiching.

As far as your second question is concerned you can use both 'set ip next-hop' or 'set interface' and either one would work for PBR. However, 'set ip next-hop' would be a better option as you may have some issues when 'set interface' is used in certain situations.

HTH

Sundar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card