cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Region Configuration

gmcleveney_2
Level 1
Level 1

When a region in CUCM is configured for higher codec (say g711) does it mean that lower codec g729 also works if phone and gateways in the region accept?

Thanks..

5 Replies 5

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

No it will not. If 2 regions are configured for 711 then that's what it will use. It's not like assigning a voice class where codecs may be negotiated.

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_1/ccmcfg/b02regio.html

actually it will work, if in the scenario there is a GW involved and you hard-code the dial-peer to G729 you can use the codec.

the region configuration determines what will be the max BW that can be used for voice and anything less than that amount if the endpoints can use the same codec works

from the doc:

The audio codec determines the type of compression and the maximum amount of bandwidth that is used per audio call.

if you're using CUCM 6 and 3rd G phones even if you set the region to use G711 and the phones can use G722 they may use it overriding the region config

HTH

javalenc

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

I agree with J, but you can only hard code the dial-peer if you have a H323 gateway. This would not apply to MGCP.

I was unaware though about CUCM6 and 3rd G phones over-riding region configurations. What about 4 & 5?

Thanks for the tip

MC

I know for a fact that 5.x and 6.x have it, but i would need to double-check the support on 4.x but i think the support started with 5.x

Release Notes for Cisco Unified CallManager Release 5.1(3)

Using the G.722 Codec

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/5_1_3/513cmrn.html#wp192570

When enabled, the service parameter allows Cisco Unified IP Phones (such as 7971, 7970, 7941, 7961) to negotiate and use the G.722 codec when calls are within the same region.

It uses the same BW as G711 but the technology used differs on the fact G722 has a higher sampling rate which carries more info in the same BW as a G711 call, it's explained better in the link in case you want to know some more on this codec

since the codec has a better quality over the same BW as G711, if the phones are capable of using it, they will, even if you have the region to G711. if you have the region configured to a codec that uses less than 56K it won't work and then you will use the codec from the region

HTH

javalenc

HTH

java

Excellent, Excellent information my friend. Thanks for the documentation.

MC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: