cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New 4507R-E with Sup6-E

cvoisin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new 4507 with a supervisory engine 6-E and I have two odd issues. The first is the flash card. I am trying to store the image on the included compact flash card and I am having problems even formatting the card(s). Below is the output from the switch when I issue the format slot0: command.

Switch#format slot0:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]

Format operation will destroy all data in "slot0:". Continue? [confirm]

01:34:20: %C4K_FLASH-4-COMPACTFLASHNOTREADY: Compact flash is not ready

%Error formatting slot0 (No device available)

Also aside from the flash card not formatting, I noticed that one of the new X2 10 Gigabit Ethernet converters is seeming to throw an error. I can swap it to a different 10 Gigabit Ethernet slot and I will see the same error thrown on Te3/1

00:00:43: %C4K_TRANSCEIVERMAN-3-SEEPROMREADFAILED: Failed to read transceiver seria

l eeprom on port Te3/2, try reinserting

Do you think I have a bad supervisory?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The sup6-E uplinks can either operate in 10G mode or 1G mode with TwinGig . By default , they are set for 10G and that may be why you are getting the EEPROM failed error.

You need to configure the following command to use the twin gig converter

hw-module module port-group select gigabitethernet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/40sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1077316

I am not sure about the flash but as suggested above, try reseating it.

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

I do not think would be your suppervisor card, read bellow. As for the compact flash try reseating it.

1. %C4K_TRANSCEIVERMAN-3-SEEPROMREADFAILED: Failed to read transceiver serial eeprom on port [char], try reinserting

A transceiver with a serial EEPROM has been detected in the port referred to in the message, but the read of the serial EEPROM's contents failed. It is necessary to read the serial EEPROM to determine what sort of transceiver it is. Sometimes the read fails because the transceiver is not seated correctly.

Recommended Action: Try removing and reinserting the transceiver. If this message still appears after that, try the transceiver in another port, to verify that the transceiver is bad, and not the port. If the transceiver fails in another port, return the transceiver, as the transceiver must be reprogrammed for it to work. If the transceiver succeeds in other ports, but not the original port, that implies that the original port is bad, not the transceiver, and the module needs to be returned, to fix the port. As a further test of the port, other transceivers could be tried in the suspected bad port. If these other transceivers also fail in that port, it is very likely that the port is bad.

Jorge Rodriguez

The sup6-E uplinks can either operate in 10G mode or 1G mode with TwinGig . By default , they are set for 10G and that may be why you are getting the EEPROM failed error.

You need to configure the following command to use the twin gig converter

hw-module module port-group select gigabitethernet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/40sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1077316

I am not sure about the flash but as suggested above, try reseating it.

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card