cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is customer edge router and provider edge router

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Can someone explain we what is CER and PER and in which network we use them?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mahesh

We frequently see these terms used in MPLS networks. the Customer Edge Router (CER) is the router on the Customer side of the connection and that provides connectivity to the interior of the Customer network and to the MPLS cloud. the Provider Edge Router (PER) is the router on the Provider side of the connection and that provides connectivity from the MPLS cloud to the Customer network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

mahesh

I am glad that the answers that Sundar and I provided were able to resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read responses that did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mahesh

We frequently see these terms used in MPLS networks. the Customer Edge Router (CER) is the router on the Customer side of the connection and that provides connectivity to the interior of the Customer network and to the MPLS cloud. the Provider Edge Router (PER) is the router on the Provider side of the connection and that provides connectivity from the MPLS cloud to the Customer network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply Rick.

so PER is physically located at Telco office

Right?

Mahesh,

No, that would be on the MPLS service provider, not Telco, side facing the customer. PEs usually sit on the edge of the MPLS cloud and connect to the CEs that are usually located at the customer premise.

HTH

Sundar

mahesh

I am glad that the answers that Sundar and I provided were able to resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read responses that did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card