Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot Loader upgrade query

scottwilliamson
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

I've upgraded a 3750 integrated controller and a 4402 to 5.0.148.0 (s/w and bootloader image) but the sh sysinfo ouput still reports the previous bootloader version:

Product Version........... 5.0.148.0

RTOS Version..... Linux-2.6.10_mvl401

Bootloader Version.......... 4.2.61.0

Have I missed a step, or is there some other problem?

Thanks for any help

Scott

6 Replies 6

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure why you'd still show the 4.2 boot loader. What order did you install them in? Did you do a second reboot to confirm that it was still showing 4.2.61? When you loaded both ER and AES did you disable both radio networks and all wlans? What do you show if you do a "show run-config" ?

Hi Dennis,

I upgraded the 3750 first - uploaded both images, disabled the WLANs and rebooted the box. Checked the sysinfo and saw the discrepancy - tried downloding the ER file again and rebooted but no difference.

With the 4402 I rebooted after downloading the s/w then repeated with the boot image - Same result - bootloader still previous version. This time I forgot to disable the WLANs though.

The run-config output reports the 4.2 bootloader.

I did notice that when I was upgrading the 4402 via it's own GUI it was referring to the "emergency bootloader", could this be significant?

Thanks

Scott

This ER release only fixes a very minor caveat but I would call TAC just to make sure what happened. Is should show the proper code version. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

That is a known issue regarding the bootloader. Even though you load the bootloader, it will still show the original. This info was from TAC... no date when this would be fixed since the boot loader file isn't always an upgrade to the boot loader, but to the partition. TAC also mentioned that when opening a case that this be noted... if the boot loader was installed or not, or which bootloader was loaded last. Hope this clarifies things.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Dennis, Fella5,

I'll leave it be until a new bootloader is released.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott is 100% correct and the relevant bug is CSCsm89055.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card