Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtaining S/N remotely

D-N
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there

I hope I'm asking this in the right place... I'm having trouble obtaining the chassis serial number remotely from Cisco 1760 routers. Both sh ver and sh diag provide the PCB S/N, not the chassis S/N that is used to identify the product to Cisco.

Is there anything I am missing here? Is there actually a way to remotely obtain the chassis S/N from a Cisco 1760 running 12.4(12b)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on the matter.

6 Replies 6

enkli
Level 1
Level 1

sh diag ??

Like I mentioned above, both SHOW VERSION and SHOW DIAG do NOT provide the chassis S/N - instead, they provide the PCB S/N which is useless when it comes to identifying the product to Cisco.

Dorian

On some routers, most especially the ISR routers in my experience, the command show inventory will show the chassis serial number. Unfortunately there are some routers that implement the command but that do not return the correct serial number. I do not have a 1760 to test it on. You might give show inventory a try and see if it works for your 1760.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately the returned serial for the chassis is (incorrectly) reported to be the same as the motherboard serial. I guess this particular platform is bugged when it comes to chassis S/Ns.

Dorian

Unfortunately I believe that you are correct. It is too bad that Cisco is putting more emphasis on identification by serial number without providing a good reliable way to determine this serial number remotely.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I think Cisco have started this with the new ISR routers...it is just that the old routers do not work the same way

One of the best practices would be to configure snmp-server chassis-id

later on you can retrieve them via sh snmp server

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: