cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message notification

c.walsh
Level 3
Level 3

We are configuring Unity v5.0. I understand how to configure message notification to send a text message via email to notify a user that they have voice mail. Is it possible to point this at an exchange server using smtp & do we need a license to do this?

thanks

Colin

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Colin -

What message store are you using with Unity 5.0? If you are using Exchange as the partner server, you can use an Exchange smtp gateway that you need to configure, or route email to users' inboxes if you are using Unity unified messaging. You don't need a Unity license for this, nor Exchange if you already have Exchange in your environment. Typically, if your organization already uses Exchange there is an smtp gateway configured - check with your Exchange admins and you can use that server for Unity message notification. Here is the reference guide discussing this section - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag220e.html#wp1047853

Sincerely, Ginger

Ginger, We are staging this for a customer in our lab, we already looked at that document, but are not sure how to configure the exchange smtp gateway We are being told that version 5 of unity uses VPIM instead of smtp & this requires a license. have you got this working?

Cheers

Colin

Hi -

Yes, we have it working. Unity does not need a VPIM license. On the subscriber Unity Assistant, go to Notification Devices. Select the check box for Text to Unity inbox. Enter the user's email address and select the messages you want and schedule. Save this information. This method uses the inbox created by the message store configuration wizard for the Exchange partner server as the sender. Give it a try and send yourself a test voice message. I would not recommend using this for all message types, only for voice messages.

Ginger

Ginger,

I have set gone into a subscribers profile on unity, option message notification, then notification method = Text Pager 1, then entered the email address & a text message, checked the status enabled box to notify subscriber of voice messages.

Is there anything else required to determine where to send the message to, as it does not appear to work?

Cheers

Colin

Adding to this discussion , how can edit the Subject of the notification ?

In the manual of unity 5 there is no such field ...!!!

Is there a workaround ?

Do i need a feature request to send to cisco ?

Under subscribers, go to message notification, then device: TEXT PAGER 1.

You can then enter text to send in the email notification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: