Views
Helpful
Replies

Little EIGRP Help

mparella
Level 1
Level 1

Pretty simple EIGRP question:

I have a main headquarters, and three offices directly connected via 10 meg point-to-point links to this office (hub and spoke). I am running EIGRP. For redundancy I am going to connect each of the three branch offices DIRECTLY to each other with T1 circuits. Besides adding the new "connected networks" to my existing EIGRP configuration, what else will I need to do to get this working?

Will rate posts. Thanks!

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

That should get you going. Dis your hub and spoke topology invloved EIGRP stubs ?

Make sure the bandwidh statements are configured correctly otherwise you may find the router choses the backup circuit primarily for forwarding the traffic

Narayan

Thanks! No, we never wnet ahead and enabled the EIGRP stub. Is this OK?

Michael

With the direct links that you are installing to connect the spoke locations configuring stub would be a problem. For this implementation you need the spoke routers to not be EIGRP stub routers. If the spoke router were configured as EIGRP stub then it would not advertise the prefixes of its spoke neighbor to the hub and then your failover would not work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, Rick. That's what I thought. One last item- I have voice running over my existing links. Will I run into any problems with multiple paths, etc. when I enable the other links?

If you are load-balancing the traffic, EIGRP (by default) uses per-destination load-balancing so it does not break services such as voice. However, if you change the default behavior to 'per-packet', voice will be affected.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Good to know. Thanks for your input!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card