Views
Helpful
Replies

Power over ethernet on 2950 switch?

Ibbywannit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all my respected friends and gurus,

You guys have saved my butt numerous times - and i thank you all for that. Here's another one for you. I had a customer that couldn't reach his switch (2950)and we deduced that he may be running a standard image instead of an enhanced one. He's now asking me whether the enhanced image will support power over ethernet. i was under the impression that the IOS revision wouldn't make a difference - any clarification on that?

The IOS is 12.1 (6) by the way...

5 Replies 5

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct. that model of switch does not support Power over Ethernet. You need to upgrade your hardware.

2960s do support POE

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/index.html

What about if he's using a "power injector?" (I don't know what one is but i heard someone saying that they managed to use POE with a power injector and some form of manual configuration)....

Thanks for all your help there Matt and i appreciate the swift reply. Please see the reflection in the ratings...

No problem and thanks for the kind rating. I hope that you have gotten all of your questions answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card