cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cross or JR-45

hoadotnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

I connected from router 1811 (FE1) to my Switch 2950 (First port on 24 ports Switch). I am using RJ-45 cable. Should I use crossover cable or I am fine. Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Hoa,

Between a router and a switch you should use a straight-through cable.

RJ-45 does not imply the cable is straight-through. It just tells you the connector type.

Cables with RJ-45 connectors can be either crossover or straight-through.

Check the connection between the router and the switch: give an ip address to interface vlan 1 on the 2950 switch from the same subnet where FE1 of the router is located.

Put the FE interface of the 2950 switch into vlan 1 and ping interface vlan 1 from the router.

If it works, then you have the right cable.

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Hoa,

Between a router and a switch you should use a straight-through cable.

RJ-45 does not imply the cable is straight-through. It just tells you the connector type.

Cables with RJ-45 connectors can be either crossover or straight-through.

Check the connection between the router and the switch: give an ip address to interface vlan 1 on the 2950 switch from the same subnet where FE1 of the router is located.

Put the FE interface of the 2950 switch into vlan 1 and ping interface vlan 1 from the router.

If it works, then you have the right cable.

Cheers:

Istvan

I used straight-through cable and it is works. Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card