cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Gateway Not The Same

hoadotnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router; it is connected to Switch.

My pc is conencted to switch and I have to configured as static IP with defaul gateway; 10.10.10.10;

Other pc is connected to router FE2; without configured static IP; Default gateway is 10.10.10.1?

These pc(s) can connected to Internet. Why it has diff gateway. Is there way I can setup both are the same?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

What type of switch do you have? I would assume that you have a L3 switch doing your routing for you for the pc thats connected to it and your router is doing the default-gateway duty for your second pc. I would think there would be no reason why you could not use the same default gateway for both.

I have 2950 and 1811 router?

I have 2950 for switch and 1811 router. Can I make both have the same gateway?

can you post the config of both your switch and router?

evsrajatgupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi hoadotnguyen,

This may be the result of a mis-configurations.

May be you are using a DHCP server which has default gateway of 10.10.10.1.

When you config Static IP and gateway that is 10.10.10.10 both do work.

This may be because 10.10.10.10 IP address must be config on your network devices.

As per the best practice you should have the IP address on the L3 device as default gatewat, I your case it should be ip router Ethernet interface Ip address.

For futher send your network layout with devices config.

Please rate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card