cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missing notification Device Types in DFM

jpugliese
Level 1
Level 1

Following an attempt to get rid of some old events in DFM that would be "replayed" after every Ciscoworks restart

I tried to delete the entries from the DFM databases by initialising the databases using the following commands:-

1) net stop crmdmgtd

2) cd \program files\CSCOpx\bin

3) perl dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmEpm dmprefix=EPM

4) perl dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmInv dmprefix=INV

5) perl dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmFh dmprefix=FH

8) delete NMSROOT/objects/smarts/local/repos/DFM.rps

7) net start crmdmgtd

When I restart Ciscoworks the old events appear to have gone and the DFM starts it new discovery.

The problem I have is when setting up the Notification Groups up within DFM I no longer have the option of selecting a sub device type under

DFM> Notification Services> Notification Groups> Add Notification Group>.

Now under Device Type Groups I only have the option to select Routers, Security and VPN, Switches and Hubs, and Wireless.

Before I could select the DFM group by device model type (i.e. select all Catalyst 6500's etc), but now all I have are all the devices discovered.

I am running the following:-

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.0.6

Campus Manager 4.0.8 24

CiscoView 6.1.5

Device Fault Manager 2.0.10

Integration Utility 1.6.0

Resource Manager Essentials 4.0.5

I'd appreciate any pointers to enable me to get my notification services working again.

Thanks,

J.

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to enable these menu options under Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Selector Settings > Group Customization. Check the Show Series Groups and Show Models Groups boxes.

The Show Series Group and Show Models Group are check but still I cannot see the groups in the notification screen.

Please see attached examples

Thanks,

J.

Sorry,

Messed up the attachments.

Here they are:-

I was mistaken. DFM's device selectors don't obey the standard device selector configuration. They will only show the top level device type group.

I'm sure I had this setup before I deleted the DFM databases.

I'm sure I used this method to prevent multiple notifications when a major device such as a distributon or core switch went off-line.

Maybe I set this filtering up elswhere?

J.

This interface is where you would adjust which devices will trigger DFM notifications. But it only does the one top level grouping. Other, non-DFM device selectors will do multi-level device type groups. Do you have a sample notification?

Here is a sample notification. (I've deleted domain names and email addresses to protect the innocent)

Subject: 0008HVF ; pin-cor01-153-6.xxx.xxx.com ; Thu 31-Jan-2008 09:22:16 WST ; Critical ; Active

EVENT ID = 0008HVF

ALERT ID = 0002QLN

TIME = Thu 31-Jan-2008 09:22:16 WST

STATUS = Active

SEVERITY = Critical

MANAGED OBJECT = pin-cor01-153-6.xxx.xxx.com

MANAGED OBJECT TYPE = Switches and Hubs

EVENT DESCRIPTION = OperationallyDown::Component=PORT-pin-cor01-153-6.xxx.xxx.com/2.5 [Gi2/5] [pin-dis03-45x-1 Trunk Link];Type=ETHERNETCSMACD;OperStatus=DOWN;InterfaceCode=CODEUNKNOWN;DuplexMode=FULLDUPLEX;AdminStatus=UP;LastChangedAt=31-Jan-2008 10:22:16 AM;IsFlapping=false;MaxSpeed=1000000000;Mode=NORMAL;

CUSTOMER IDENTIFICATION = XXXX LAN

CUSTOMER REVISION = 1.3

I may well have selected individual devices for specific notifications, but as we have over 700 devices i'm sure I would have remembered that task.

Thanks for your help.

J.

This is definitely a DFM notification, but the DFM notification group device selector is single-level.

Depending on your naming scheme, you could use the filter interface to find a group of matching devices. Say for example all the devices you're interested in have "core" in their name. You could do a search on "*core*" in the Notification Group device selector. Then, under the Search Results tab, check the Select All box.

Now I remember :-)

I set up a filter before within the advanced search based on Device Model:-

Device.Model contains "400" OR

Device.Model contains "500" OR

Device.Model contains "600" OR

Device.Model contains "650"

Then selected all as you suggest above.

Thanks for all your help.

It pays to document!!!!!

J.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco