Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Number of a Cisco router

Lavanholy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the Cisco CLI command to be used to find the serial number and model number of a cisco equipment?

Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

6 Replies 6

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Venkat, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

Execute below commands:

sh version

>> To verify the Model No # and IOS Software installed currently.

sh inventory

>> Provide the Serial No # of the Equipment and the other accessories installed.

Pls Rate if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

S.Venkataraman

Guru has given two commands which MAY provide the correct information. Unfortunately neither command works consistently to provide the serial number. In particular I would be careful about the show inventory command. In my experience it produces the correct serial number on some routers (especially the ISR series of routers) but on other routers it produces output that is not the serial number. Before I execute the show inventory command on a remote router and trust the output, I would suggest trying it on a router of that model where you can physically verify the output of show inventory.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Guru/Rick,

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I agree with Guru and Rick.

If you can physically access the router, better compare both CLI and physical label.

I mentioned this because I experienced having 2 PIX Firewall in which the physical label interchanged :)

FW1

Physical label: XXXXXXXXXX02B

CLI: XXXXXXXXXX01A

FW2

Physical label: XXXXXXXXXX01A

CLI: XXXXXXXXXX02B

Common sense dictates that the CLI is correct :)

Regards,

Dandy

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

some times it is platform Dependant.

4500 for example use "show idprom chassis"

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

S.VENKATARAMAN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card