Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0 duplicate devices?

I have an evaluation version of LMS 3.0 running on a server as a test. I have a small number of IOS devices (and a CallManager 4.2 server) which I originally put into a .CSV file and imported into LMS 3.0. I used the hostnames (FQDN's) in the .CSV file as all the hosts are registered in DNS. I noticed today that there are now duplicate entries for each device, one with the original FQDN and a duplicate that just has the hostname - i.e. '3560-switch.testlab.local' and a new one called '3560-switch'. I have checked and this is in Common Services and has been exported to RME etc. The server's DNS suffix is the same as the devices (testlab.local).

Is this normal behaviour? and is it correctable?

Cheers

Andy

5 Replies 5

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I had almost the identical issue when I upgraded from LMS 2.2 to 2.6. I recall the dupes were a result of Campus Manager "Device Discovery" exporting to DCR (by default). In LMS 3.0, I think the checkbox to turn off this synchronization is somewhere in DCR now. I don't think LMS helped much with deduping. It probably involved exporting the DCR inventory to a csv and awk/sed away the dupes, although one could try making the dupe pairs identical in every way possible Identity-wise in DCR and then hope DCR/RME starts realizing the dupes on its own.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this LMS 3.0.1? Are you using Common Services Discovery? If so, you are probably hitting CSCsm66330.

Yes, its running whatever are the latest patches - Dec 2007 patch applied plus whatever is on CCO. I have just had a quick look at the BugID and it looks more like a behaviour issue as opposed to a bug. Is it because the names resolve to the same Domain Suffix as the server?

Andy

The bug describes a dupe scenario where a device is known by its IP addr and its hostname once each. Does it also apply to the "hostname"+"hostname.fqdn.com" dupe scenario?

Yes. Any instance where the device is in DCR by one name/address, but Discovery determines it needs to manage the device by another name/address, the device will be duplicated in DCR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco