cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat. 3750 Password Recovery

QuikeyMan_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am following the password recovery walk through shown here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

When I get to step 9., Enter "n" at the prompt to abort the initial configuration dialog., I never notice the prompt. Is the prompt a timing thing such as when attempting to boot a system into safe mode, or with the startup process pause for step 9.? Also, the startup goes into a process of attempting to download config files from a default tftp server that does not exist on our network, at least not anymore.

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The step is to boot from an IOS loaded in your switch without any configuration available. Like booting the switch fresh from the box.

It seems to me that you are not booting from the IOS loaded in your switch.

You need to configure the switch to boot from the IOS loaded locally before initiating the command "boot".

Alternatively, you can do this.

dir flash << To check the IOS filename (if present)

boot flash:ios_filename

Regards,

Dandy

I understand what you're saying, but I thought that was the point of renaming the configuration file that was in flash memory. I guess I also just thought this would go smoother given it is a Cisco document for the specified hardware.

Hi QuikeyMan

What was the output of the command "dir flash:" entered at step 6?

As the previous poster said it dose not look like you switch is attempting to boot using the IOS in flash. Alternatively there may be no IOS in flash or the configuration register is set incorrectly and is looking to boot from a tftp server.

Best Regards,

Michael

Sorry for the delayed response, I wanted to wait for the weekend to get back into the switch(s).

The the flash directory consists of:

-config.old (which I had renamed from config.text)

-private-config.text

-c3750-ibase-mz.122-25.SEB2

I would assume the private-config.text file is the culprit here. That being said, I would think I should rename config.old to config.text, and then rename private-config.text to private-config.old to proceed with the password recovery process?

Would my best bet be to view the configuration files prior to proceeding with the password recovery process? If so, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for here?

Given the contents of dir flash:

-config.text

-private-config.text

How would I know which to use for the password recovery process? Documentation states to use config.text. Is it possible to read the enable password out of these files if there are not encrypted?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card