cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to know if the router's memory is on or off board?

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Is there a command that shows me if is there in the router an offboard memory?

I tried show diag expecting to see DRAM slot 0 "memory module 128Mb" or something like this. but I dont see, my doubt is should the memory show up there? and it means the memory is onboard or no even an offboard memory will not be displaied.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

DRAM is always in the mainboard. They are inserted in the slots at the mainboard.

When you mentioned off-board, you might be referring to router flash or non-volatile memory (NVRAM). Depends on the router model, flash is also inserted in the slot at the mainboard, but the difference of flash from the memory is it is available in PCMCIA where you can plug it to an external PCMCIA slot.

I'm not sure if there is an available command to check the memory (DRAM). Your best bet is the memory combination table of the router model.

For flash, there is a way to check it, see this link http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/cs/csprtf/csprtf2/csmemory.htm

Regards,

Dandy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I am not sure about what you mean with your question exactly, especially the meaning of "offboard". Do you mean a memory that is on some forwarding linecard (in constrast to memory on the main CPU route processor board)? What kind of router model do you have?

Anyway, the main route processor memory is normally seen in the output of "show version". For example:

cisco 12416/PRP (MPC7457) processor (revision 0x00) with 2097152K bytes of memory.

or

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE400) processor (revision A) with 491520K/32768K bytes of memory.

The linecard memory is normally seen with the "sh diag" that you mentioned, but not individually. Rather it is found under the output of the particular linecard the memory sits on. For example:

SLOT 2 (RP/LC 2 ): Modular SPA Interface Card (10G)

Insertion time: 00:00:37 (1w6d ago)

Processor Memory size: 2147483648 bytes

TX Packet Memory size: 268435456 bytes, Packet Memory pagesize: 32768 bytes

RX Packet Memory size: 268435456 bytes, Packet Memory pagesize: 32768 bytes

Or are you looking for something else?

Kind Regards,

M.

What I mean is, the routers come with some memory attached to the main board, and you can not take it out, it's fixed there. And there is a slot where you can add DRAM memory. I see the router have 256 total memory and I want to know if its 128 on main board and the other 128 in a removable module in a slot. But the router is far away so i'm trying to see it through command line.

Hi,

DRAM is always in the mainboard. They are inserted in the slots at the mainboard.

When you mentioned off-board, you might be referring to router flash or non-volatile memory (NVRAM). Depends on the router model, flash is also inserted in the slot at the mainboard, but the difference of flash from the memory is it is available in PCMCIA where you can plug it to an external PCMCIA slot.

I'm not sure if there is an available command to check the memory (DRAM). Your best bet is the memory combination table of the router model.

For flash, there is a way to check it, see this link http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/cs/csprtf/csprtf2/csmemory.htm

Regards,

Dandy

No, I'm not referring to flash. its DRAM memory and there is DRAM removable and not removable form main board. that is what I want to know if is ther any removable DRAM (sure it's DRAM and not other kind of memory) or only DRAM that is attached and not removable from main board.

Hi,

As mentioned, I don't think there is a command to show which slot is populated.

I usually use the router model memory matrix combination. Let us know the model

Regards,

Dandy

Hello,

I do not know of a command that displays such information (the sh diag normally shows linecard/port adapter information and not individual memories). Unless someone knows better, I would suggest you took a look through the memory information documentation for your particular platform. Such documents normally describe what is fixed at the factory and what is not.

For example (NPE-300):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7200/install_and_upgrade/npe-nse_memory_install/8358ov2.html#wp1049841

If you have difficulties locating the information by searching the CCO, please tell us the particular router model you are interested in.

Kind Regards,

M.

p.s. By the way, the memory "slots" of a route processor board (or linecard board) are considered different from the router backplane "slots" where linecards/PAs/modules are attached ("backplane" slot contents are normally shown via "sh diag"). The same word can refer to different kinds of things, even on the same machine.

p.s. 2: Specific router models have CPU and DRAM on the linecards as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card