cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a "Lolipop Configuration"?

parc
Level 1
Level 1

A colleague of mine mentioned a "Lolipop Configuration" and I have never heard this term. Can someone tell me what this means?

7 Replies 7

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

I am not familiar with the term lolipop configuration, do you have a context with which this came up? Are you refering to router on a stick?

Martin

I am also not familiar with that term, an no it is not a router on a stick....

Hi,

There are many use for the term "lollipop configuration", it is used in engineering, automotives, medical, etc. They refer to the lollipop shape, also to its sweetness (in the other end of the stick).

Depends on how or which specific configuration that person is referring to.

I think if the person is referring to some physical/logical setup/connection/appearance/diagram, it might be referring to the shape.

Try not to use this term in IT as it's not a common term used in IT. People might misinterpret you :)

Regards,

Dandy

A lollipop config?

I hate to say it, dude, but I think your colleague is trying to make an 'all-day sucker' out of you. :-)

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It may be a special configuration applicable only on 1st April ;-) I would go for "router on a stick".

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I agree with everyone that this is probably an April 1st thing ;)

But! Just for trivia's sake, there's only one lollipop I know of in networking and it has to do with OSPF's (and other routing protocols evidently) numbering sequence.

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lollipop_sequence_numbering

Geoff

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

LOL guys! :-)

Check out how can Radware's Cache Server Director (CSD) be deployed:

http://www.radware.co.il/content/solutions/content-services/faq/default.asp#210

It follows similar logic with the already mentioned "router on a stick" (various types of traffic through same physical port) concept :-)

Kind Regards,

M.

p.s. Now, if your colleague goes on and later mentions the "One Leg" configuration, you will now beforehand whose leg he is pulling! :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card