cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco messaging interface

sun_sazanov
Level 1
Level 1

hi. When i enter in RTMT i can see next alarm (Service status is DOWN .

The following service(s) are down: Cisco Messaging Interface). When i start this service in CCM, he goto in status running and in 1-2 minutes he status not running. In rtrm-sysLog Viewer-Application logs - CiscoSysLog have next error (%CCM_SUMI-GENERIC-3-ServiceStarted: Service started. IP Address of hosting node.:10.10.18.5 Host name of hosting node.:CCM Service Name:Cisco Messaging Interface UNKNOWN_PARAMTYPE:Process ID:30529 Cluster ID:StandAloneCluster Node ID:CCM). How i can fix it?

8 Replies 8

matthewpage
Level 3
Level 3

Are you actually using the service though???

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Slava,

Just to add a note to the good info from Matthew (5 points for your good work Matthew) This interface is only used in CCM to Legacy VM integrations (via SMDI) if you are not setup that way this is why you are seeing this :)

Cisco Messaging Interface Service

The Cisco Messaging Interface allows you to connect a simplified message desk interface (SMDI)-compliant external **Third Party** voice-mail system with the Cisco CallManager. The CMI service provides the communication between the voice-mail system and Cisco CallManager. The SMDI defines a way for a phone system to provide a voice-mail system with the information needed to intelligently process incoming calls.

Genrally the Cisco Messaging Interface (CMI) is a Cisco CallManager service that should be run only on the publisher server. This service intercepts calls destined for voicemail and generates appropriate SMDI messages, which are then delivered to one of the server's Component Object Model (COM) ports.

But can be setup this way,

Cisco Messaging Interface Redundancy

Most voice-messaging systems that rely on an EIA/TIA-232 serial cable (previously known as a RS-232 cable) to communicate with phone systems only have one serial port. You can achieve Cisco Messaging Interface redundancy by running two or more copies of the Cisco Messaging Interface service on different servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster and using additional hardware including a data splitter that is described later in this section.

Each copy of Cisco Messaging Interface connects to a primary and backup Cisco CallManager and registers to the Cisco CallManager by using the same VoiceMailDn and VoiceMailPartition service parameter values. The Cisco Messaging Interface with the higher service priority (the active Cisco Messaging Interface service) handles the SMDI responsibilities. If this Cisco Messaging Interface encounters problems, another one can take over.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008037e2f3.html#wp1024396

Hope this helps!

I am guessing that was a joke there from rob;)

Hi Matthew,

Not a joke at all my friend :) Your Q&A is the exact one that needs to be asked here. I just fleshed it out a little for Slava. Don't second guess yourself when you give the correct answer you should get the appropriate rating. Your participation here will always be valued and will never be taken for granted by me!

Take care,

Rob

no problem rob. Thanks for the rating.

Matthew,

No worries :) I just read your bio and I'm surpised that you even have any time left here to participate. That's what I call a "full plate".

Good stuff!

Rob

sorry forgot to rate you detailed explantation. We dont actually know yet if he was planning on not using the service.lol.

Also this forum is a fantastic distraction from uni and real work.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks man :) Yes, it's just our rambling so far hahahaha

Thanks again,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: