cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DN disappearing from 7936 and 7937

egrinkin1
Level 1
Level 1

This one's crazy! I noticed this morning that a 7936 that was up and running, lost it's extension. Where did it go? I have no clue! Error on display Error Pass Limit.

Then, later today, the brand new 7937 that I just told the owner was perfect and good to go, lost the extension too. Does anyone have a clue what this is?

CUCM 6.0.1 2127

7936 firmware cmterm_7936.3-3-14-0

7937 firmware apps37sccp.1-1-1-1

Thanks in advance,

~ Liz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liz,

Yes, that is an "odd" one! I remember this happening a few years ago to people and it was fixed by changing the Max Calls and Busy Trigger on the affected phones. There is actually a doc related to this issue :)

IP Phone Error Message: Error Pass Limit

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080875c69.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liz,

Yes, that is an "odd" one! I remember this happening a few years ago to people and it was fixed by changing the Max Calls and Busy Trigger on the affected phones. There is actually a doc related to this issue :)

IP Phone Error Message: Error Pass Limit

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080875c69.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I heard you had an upgrade. How'd it go?

Thanks for the fast response. I found that article first, but was hoping for some feedback on the 7936/7 and CUCM 6.0. The article was for CM 4.0 and regular IP phones not the Polycom.

Do you think it matters? The only recommendation is to increase the max calls/busy trigger.

The 7936 was working fine, and the 7937 is brand new. It just seems CRAZY that this happened today. I thought maybe it was an April Fool's joke...

Thanks again Rob!

~ Liz

Hey Liz,

You are most welcome :) Yes, we did attempt an upgrade on Saturday night (ugghhh!) We hit a "hidden" Cisco bug that halted everything. Oh well, we will try again in a few weeks :) This is what a fellow NetPro once lovingly referred to as the "Cisco Disco" hahahaha. That's enough of my sad story.

Here is the bug that refers to your cruel April Fool's joke..

CSCee24036 Bug Details

AVVID: Error pass limit does not adequate describe failure

Symptom:

----------------

Phone will display error message 'Error pass limit' and a the line will not be able to originate a call

Problem:

----------------

The maximum number of calls on the line has been reached

Workaround:

----------------

Increase the number of calls per line or try a differnt line

I think that this may still apply as I have seen this happen with all other IP Phone models. Maybe you could give it a try.

Take care Liz!

Rob

I will let you know Rob. What I didn't see in the article was that the extension disappeared... I read it again tomorrow, as it's late and I was on the phone with TAC ALL DAY!

They found a new bug with me today - not well known but not hidden like yours!

Thanks again and I'll reply/rate when I have a chance to test. HAGN

~ Liz

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Liz,

I stumbled across this thread from 2005 where the DN does disappear much like your issue;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Phone%20Services%20for%20End%20Users&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd80045

Maybe you can pass this one along to TAC ;-)

Take care,

Rob

Rob,

After the last post, which is amazing as I searched the forum and could not find anything like what I dealt with, I reread the article.

This line stood out, "... As you configure the number of calls for one line, the calls that are available for another line decrease. The default specifies four. If the phone does not allow multiple calls for each line, the default specifies two."

The 7936, that I was replacing, had a DN MAX Calls 2 based on the device. When I created the new 7937, the extension was shared. It must have forced the system to generate the error/dn deletion as the line was NOT available on the 7936 AND the 7937.

I deleted the (3) 7936s and changed the max calls per line and the busy trigger to the highest allowed, 6.

I'm babysitting the devices all day, but I'm confident you pointed me to the right place!

Thank you Rob for helping me once again!

Hey Liz,

You are always welcome! I have enjoyed working with you a great deal. Your good troubleshooting on this is worthy of my 5 point vote all day long :) I'm very confident you will be "good to go" now.

This will help others who come across this same issue I'm sure.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: