cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Catalyst 4006 to 4506, i.e. Sup IV

bruce.porter
Level 1
Level 1

Can you load a 12.4 version of the IOS onto a 4006 chassis that has been upgraded from a Sup II to a Sup IV? 4006 has come to the EOS and it looked like the option was to upgrade to a 4506 IOS.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I haven't seen a 4006 in years :)

4006 is current EOL so it's very hard to find any documentation on it but I 'assume' the Sup should load the installed IOS.

I don't have any hardware to duplicate your environment, sorry..

View solution in original post

There is only one explanation for that. It seems you weren't typing the filename from the image correctly on the boot system command.

The image may contain "_" or a "-" that you may have missed. What I usually do, is dir bootflash: and copy the image name as displayed in the CLI onto the command.

I never trust myself on typing the image name correctly :)

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

All IOS-based Cats are currently in a 12.2 train. Newest is 12.2.(44)SG.

Thanks, you're correct. 12.2(44) is the latest version available to some Catalyst switches. I hadn't noticed this fact.

My new question is, can you load a 4506 image on an upgraded 4006 switch?

Yes, the image runs on the Sup. The Sup you have would be the same Sup running on a 4506, therefore there is no difference.

Good luck!

__

Edison.

It is odd that a 4000 image came on the Sup IV blade: cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA11.bin.

Any attempt to load a 4500 image failed. The boot system parameter was just ignored and the 4000 image continued to boot up. I suppose I could remove the 4000 image from bootflash though.

Anyone seen this?

I haven't seen a 4006 in years :)

4006 is current EOL so it's very hard to find any documentation on it but I 'assume' the Sup should load the installed IOS.

I don't have any hardware to duplicate your environment, sorry..

Actually, it's not strange at all. Cisco renamed the Cat 4K images to "cat4500" from "cat4000" starting with 12.2.(25)SG4. cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA11.bin is in fact a 4500 IOS image. You need to make sure that the boot parameter was properly set and that the new image was specified first in the list. Post back a "sh bootvar"

I did some digging and found the 4006 chassis is supported up to 12.2(37)SG release code, per the Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_5184.html

This URL should help troubleshooting your issue

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a008011e6b4.shtml

HTH,

__

Edison.

Once again -- you guys are INCREDIBLE! You are correct about the support for the 4006 chasis quitting at the 12.2(37)SG code: From your first link (quote below):

"Note The Catalyst 4006 chassis is no longer supported in Cisco IOS Release 12.2(37)SG." This explains much.

cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-31.SGA5.bin should work and was last updated 11-FEB-2008. It appears to have current support.

I guess next time I will look at the "release note" for the 4500 switch itself.

The second link you provided shows that I could have used the Sup V blade in the 4006 chassis, with the caveat that I could only upgrade to images before the 12.2(37)SG image (when new hardware support showed up in the train).

Incredible responces. Thank you very very much! I will let you know how it goes.

Well it worked, but the bootvar didn't work. I set it to boot system bootflash:. It still booted the old image so I deleted the old image and it then booted into the new one.

Thank you very much for all the help.

Until next time...

There is only one explanation for that. It seems you weren't typing the filename from the image correctly on the boot system command.

The image may contain "_" or a "-" that you may have missed. What I usually do, is dir bootflash: and copy the image name as displayed in the CLI onto the command.

I never trust myself on typing the image name correctly :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: