cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFM Module assistance/port contention

shastymacnasty
Level 1
Level 1

I know this has been discussed in detail before but any advice would be much appreciated!

We have a 6509 with SUP2's an SFM2 and multiple WS-X6548-GE-TX's, I understand that this

card is oversubscribed to an 8:1 ratio, whereby if one port is pushing a gig then the

other 7 will have to fight for contention. My question is this: With the SFM2 module

increasing the backplane capacity to 256gigs is the ratio still 8:1 for the WS-X6548-GE-TX modules?

Or can each port theoretically supply 1 gig to each host at the same time continuously?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Without an SFM the 6548 will have to share the 32Gbps classic bus.

With an SFM it gets a dedicated 8Gbps connection to the switfch fabric. This means that there is still a lot of contention with this blade.

So in short with an SFM you still have a contended blade which is why Cisco recommend this as a wiring closet blade and not a server blade. Of course if you have clients that need a dedicated Gbp each then it's not much good in the wiring closet either.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Without an SFM the 6548 will have to share the 32Gbps classic bus.

With an SFM it gets a dedicated 8Gbps connection to the switfch fabric. This means that there is still a lot of contention with this blade.

So in short with an SFM you still have a contended blade which is why Cisco recommend this as a wiring closet blade and not a server blade. Of course if you have clients that need a dedicated Gbp each then it's not much good in the wiring closet either.

Jon

Appreciate the quick response and help Jon, kinda knew that thats were we were heading..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card