Recommendation of CCIE R&S written and lab study books?

Unanswered Question
Apr 2nd, 2008

Can someone recommend a set of study books for R&S written and lab? hopefully written by the same authors. I'm thinking using both at the same time becasue if I don't practice handson, I'm not good at memorizing answers.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
svermill Thu, 04/03/2008 - 10:10

Hey Gary,

Maurilio Gorito is hosting an Ask the Experts on R&S and this very subject just recently came up (so look towards the bottom of the thread). Also, most training vendors maintain their own recommended reading lists. For example:

Also, search the Group Study archives. I know that I wrote a very extensive recommended reading list for the written last year. And in my view, you want to really be done with most (but not necessarily all) of your reading before transitioning from written prep to lab prep. Throughout lab prep, you really want to primarily rely on the DocCD (so that you master its structure). I even tried to avoid the use of Google during lab prep. DocCD or nothing was the goal. Having said that, I do recall needing to reference a couple of my books when it became apparent I had missed some fundamental concept during written prep and the DocCD simply didn't explain it well enough to penetrate my thick skull. And there are a couple of good books out there specifically written for lab practice. According to Maurilio, one of his co-authors (Duggan) will be releasing some kind of an update to "CCIE R&S Practice Labs." IIRC, that's supposed to hit the shelves sometime this month. Don't hold me to that, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read in his current Ask the Experts thread.

Best wishes!

gwhuang5398 Tue, 04/08/2008 - 07:55

Thanks Scott. So is your recommendation to study written fully first, then change to lab? From your experience did you study for both before taking the written? or studied for lab after took the written exam?

I don't have real switches/routers to set up lab. I'm trying to build simulations in Dynamips. It works great for routing but hard to create switching.

svermill Tue, 04/08/2008 - 10:10

Hi Gary,

I actually did the exams in serial but that's not necessarily the best approach, in retrospect. Some lab practice is helpful for the written. I made a mistake in wanting to just get the written "out of the way" so I hit the books hard and ignored any lab work.

My lab was Dynamips but I bought four c3560-8PC switches. Again, in retrospect, this wasn't the best approach. You can do 100% of routing in Dynamips and some percentage of switching. But for the ~$4k I spent on four new switches, I could have bought a whole bunch of rack time. I guess the main advantage is that I still own the switches and use them to prototype small designs for clients.

Best wishes for your studies Gary!

srue Wed, 04/09/2008 - 09:34

were your 4 3560-8PC's sufficient (as far as port density) for studying for the R/S lab? I've heard at least a few people say that there aren't enough ports on them to do some of the smaller technology labs. Did you find this to be true?

svermill Mon, 04/14/2008 - 14:21

Hey Steven,

This is difficult to answer without getting long-winded, which I have done on this subject far too many times!

Essentially, no, there is not sufficient port density. Having said that, I did pass the CCIE lab with these as the basis for my L2 network. It took lots, and lots, and lots of extra work to bend the vendor lab topologies to work with my physical port limitations. In some ways, this was a learning experience that expanded my mind and my horizons. In other ways, it chewed up valuable study time not directly related to testable lab content. So it can be done, but not easily or quickly. And certainly not cost-effectively if you're buying new (and there's not yet a lot of these for sale least not when I put my lab together last year).

This Discussion