cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CABLE MODEM / 2600

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

What type of hardware do I need to setup a 2620 or 2610 Cisco Router to interface a cable modem? I want to setup a home lab.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These routers have a single fasthernet, so you need either an nm-1e, or a lan switch that supports vlans and use trunk/subinterfaces in the router.

Hope this helps, please help if it does!

My router already has a serial card in it as well as a built-in FastEthernet port. My 2950 switch does support vlan using dot1q. How would I connect my cable modem to my router using the serial WIC1 card?

You can't. You can do:

interface fa0

ip address dhcp

ip nat outside

interface fa0.20

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

encapsulation dot1q 20

ip access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 interface fa0 overload

Note on router you need an ip plkus image new engough to support dhcp, on the switch set mode trunk to port going to router, access vlan 20 to ports going to PCs.

Cheers to Tina.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Ok, it seems like I need 2 ethernet ports and since the router only comes with one I need to purchase another one. Having the cable modem and the switch communicate through the same ethernet port is impossible. I do understand vlans and trunking. Also is the router capable of accepting dynamic IP ADDRESS from my cable modem. If so how is done or will the above directions on that festure on for the fa0 port. Please reply if what I am saying is right.

All right. Not sure if your ios does dhcp, if does not, you need to upgrade IOS. Also I think vlans needs a plus image or router.

Got that part but, how do I get the fa0 port that my cable will be plugged into the recieve setting form my ISO's DHCP server. I mean what are the commands to tell the router it to recieve it automatically? I ahve never done this before.

As mentioned before, "ip address dhcp".

That's it.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does

That's Great. Thanks for helping me out so much.

You're welcome.

As a recognition to those providing answers, please rate useful posts with the scrollbox below!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco