cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESMTP Inspection on PIX

lkoons
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to allow SMTP through a PIX 525 running ver 7.2(2). When the banner comes back to the server it is 2's and astericks (*). I have done the "no inspection esmtp" commmand in the global policy, so that should turn off the inspection. However I still get the astericks in the banner. How can I get the PIX to let the banner through?

Thanks in advance.

LK

2 Replies 2

rahmant
Level 1
Level 1

What direction is the SMTP traffic for which you're configuring the PIX - outbound or inbound? Is this mail exchange to/from the Internet? How are you testing?

The device on the inside of the firewall is trying to connect to the mail server on the outside of the firewall. If I connect to the mail server from a device on the outside of the firewall the header returns fine. Only when the connection originates from the device on the inside going to the device on the outside does the header get obfuscated.

I test by telneting to port 25 on the mail server.

Thanks

LK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: