cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One Router, One Switch, 2 PIX's

ciscows
Level 1
Level 1

What issues arise if I have a router which plugs in to a switch (2950) and I have two separate PIXs attached to the same switch? I have a block of Public IP's (6 usable), 5 would go to PIX1 and 1 will go to PIX2. Am I looking at a routing nightmare? Both PIXs are 506's...and will have separate LAN networks attached.

thx,

Gardner

3 Replies 3

srue
Level 7
Level 7

can you tell us what you're trying to accomplish with your equipment?

do you have one internal network? vlans or subnets?

We have a business partner that we want to remove from one side of the network and want to put them on their own PIX. No VLANs, PIX1 is company side, PIX2 would be business partner side. If both PIXs are connected to the switch (residing before the router), will I have a routing issue given that 1 IP will go to the interface of PIX2, while the other IP addresses reside on PIX1?

ciscows
Level 1
Level 1

The switch will build the MAC tables indicating where each PIX device is located (on each respective port) for each PIX attached to the switch.

The route statements from the router simply "route" the packets destined for the that network out the designated router port. ARP request is answered and the packets are then sent to the correct PIX.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card