Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow internet connection

zahid77
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Forum,

i have lease line of 2mb at cisco router but user are facing slow internet connection, some of the users might using more by opening websites, i have a paketeer from i can see some users are taking 15% of the total bandwidth and some are less then how can limit their access, or is there any method i can check it or troubleshoot it

Zahd fayyaz

5 Replies 5

mattcalderon
Level 4
Level 4

Enable nbar on your router if its capable. This will give you an idea of what types of traffic are eating up your bw. If traffic types are there that you believe should not be, then write an ACL to block them.

You must enable the command on the applicable interfaces

ip nbar protocol-discovery

To configure NBAR to discover traffic for all protocols known to NBAR on a particular interface, use the ip nbar protocol-discovery interface configuration command. Use the no form of this command to disable traffic discovery.

ip nbar protocol-discovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/qos/configuration/guide/qcfclass.html#wpxref54116

Dear matt,

thakns for the reply, since i have a littel knowdge about NBAR, i have one doubt if the traffic type is HTTP then we cant block this traffic otherwise the whole traffic will be blocked. yes if other then this is being consumed then we can block it.please advice

please find enclosed summary of network where congestion is reported for internet

Hi Zahid,

I would recommend you to use netflow features to monitor which ip addressess is using the link and what protocols they are also using and how much bandwidth they are consuming.

you have to enable this service on the router and install the server acting as the netflow collector. you can now monitor what you want.

I hope that you didn't do anything about Nat or Proxy before the packets pass through the router. ;-)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6601/products_ios_protocol_group_home.html

Hopes this helps

Thot

Thanks Thot sure i ll do this first and see the result and get back for further opnions

thanks everybody at Forum,

if any body has any suggestion please most wellcome

Regrads

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card