Views
Helpful
Replies

unity 5.x upgrade & change to exch2007

rvincent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

Have a small customer with Unity 4.0(3)partnered to exch2003. They have moved all users to Exch2007, leaving the Exch2003 server partnered to Unity.

I will be upgrading Unity to 5 and then changing msg partner to the exch2007 box.

When I run the AD schema for the upgrade do I run it on the Exch2003 and/or the Exch2007?

Can I run it prior to doing the upgrade or will it cause problem?

Also, regarding the change to exch2007, how do you actually run this Ex2K7_script?

thanks

Rob

19 Replies 19

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rob -

To run the Unity AD schema preparation, you must run this from the domain controller configured as the schema master. The Ex2K7_script is copied from the Unity server's DVD drive to either a removable disk or a network location that is accessible to the partner Exchange 2007 server or to another server on which Exchange Management Shell is installed. It does a move mailbox for the EAdmin and USBMS_server name (broadcast messaging) from the Exchange 2003 partner server over to the Exchange 2007 server. It will show a linked mailbox status after the move. I would refer to the "Upgrading Exchange" - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge130.html

Regards, Ginger

Ginger:

Please pardon my ignorance with this -

I think I understand copying the script over to the exch server, but how do I run the script in the exch mgmt shell as mentioned in this step?

Step 19 Start Exchange Management Shell, and run the script.

thanks

Rob

Hi -

1. Run Unity 5.0 Message Store Configuration Wizard when called for on the Unity server during the CUICA. At the place where the process needs to wait until you run the Powershell script, it will prompt you. I ran this in a test lab last year so my recollection is a bit old. Basically this is what will happen:

1. Log onto Exchange 2007 partner server with an account with the necessary permissions to run a Powershell script. Make sure the Exchange 2007 management tools are installed on the Exchange server (not Unity!).

2. Start->Programs->Exchange Server->Exchange Mangement Shell

3. Enter the exact path where the Ex2k7Script_.ps1 is located, i.e. C:\Scripts\Ex2k7Script_.ps1

(This is important)

4. When prompted to do so, continue with the Message Store Config wizard on the Unity server.

Hope this helps!

Ginger

Ginger

thanks

turns out unity must run OS2003 to work with EXCH2007, so my plan of attack becomes:

Upgrade existing Unity to 5.0

run DIRT backup

rebuild Unity with clean install to Unity 5.0 w/ OS2003 connected to partner EXCH2007

Run DIRT restore

thanks again

Rob

Hello again Rob -

Thank you for your update! Best wishes with your work in progress.

Sincerely, Ginger

Thanks Ginger there were 2 posts in this that were really good information.

rlp

Hey there Randy -

That was very nice of you! Have a great weekend!! :-)

Ginger

I just wanted to post my findings as well. I am running Unity 5.0(1) on a Windows 2000 SP4 server with a partner Exchange 2007 server. I currently have no issues with MWI or message delivery. The only issue I had was that I needed to add my Unity Server to the local host file.

Did you say you are running unity on OS2000, partnered with exch2007?

Cisco TAC told me I have to run Unity on OS2003 in order to use exch2007 as partner.

Rob

That is correct.

Unity 5.0(1) on Win 2000 Server

Partner server Exchange 2007

This is a unified messaging set up. I have users on the 2003 and the 2007 exchange servers, with all MWI features working without issue.

I don't know why the Unity server OS would matter to exchange 2007, but no issues so far.

I don't know if it is a time bomb waiting to go off, but it works for me.

when i talked to cisco tac, that is what they told me.

and the only way to get it to 2003 is to do a rebuild from scratch

??

Rob

Rob -

Don't know if you got bad info from TAC about the OS versions, or I am just a renegade!

It stinks that the only upgrade is a complete rebuild, as someday, I will have to upgrade my 2000 server.

to make it worse.....

the install of the cisco win2003 cd is asking for a microsoft product key which cisco didn't supply, nor seems to know how to get it

Rob

Ouch...My 5.0 disc came with the 2003 OS and product key...sorry Rob...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: