Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I add a new WLC on my network

starjakelee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a WLC4404(v4.0.219.0) and several APs on my network.

Those APs are belonged to a couple of vlans.

I planed to add a new WLC4404(v5.0.148.0) on same network with a old one.

I configured the new WLC4404 as a primary controller of the APs and the old on as a secondary.

I noticed some APs could be registered only on same vlan with the managemnet interface of the WLC.

How can I register the APs on different VLANs with Mgmt. of the WLC?

Let me know if you have a any idea.

Thanks

Jongkwan Lee

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You must make sure you have the same firmware on both of the WLC after you have installed the new WLC.

You need to make sure the WLC is configured then same except for ip address and hostname. For every dynamic interface on your existing, you will nedd to have one created for the new wlc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dose the only management vlan work, if the different version of WLC is existing on same network?

They are totally same except IPs, hostname and dynamic interface IPs as you said.

No, but with different code, if the ap moves to the other WLC, that ap will have to upgrade its code and you will have downtime. As long as you have created the dynamic interfaces (different ip but on the same subnet) and created the same ssid and map that to the same dynamic interface, then everything should work.

You also have to verify the switchport configuration and make sure that the vlans are allowed on the trunk port of the new WLC.

-Scott

It doesn't matter if the ap have to upgrade its code and I intend to upgrade the code of APs.

But the APs couldn't find the new WLC but the old one.

That's the problem.

Well make sure you have the mobility group configured with both WLC info. What vlans are the ap's on and what vlans are the WLC on. Post the show config so I can see how you have it setup.

-Scott

I didn't configure mobility group.

Is the only way to anounce the IP of new WLC to the APs?

Can't they find ip address of the new WLC on same subnet with old one without configuring mobility group?

Well since the ap's only know of the existing WLC, the only way they will join, is if you remove the existing wlc and let the ap's find the new wlc. When you configure the mobility group, that info is pushed to the ap, so that it knows of the new wlc. This way you can set the primary ap to the new one and the second wlc to the existing wlc.... make sure ap fallback is enabled so that the ap will try to join the new wlc. If you still have issues, I would console into the ap and capture the log when you faile the existing wlc.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: