Views
Helpful
Replies

How to config Exclude Commands in RME archive management

ncssbsslc
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I try to config exclude commands in RME about "dot1x critical eapol" and "dot1x critical recovery delay 5000" to 2950 series.

but it is failed.

How can i do?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can add exclude commands under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Exclude Commands. Commands are separated by commas. If you're seeing an error, please post the error message.

Yes i do it and no any error messenge.

Please see attachment.

But it seems no any efficiency.

Sorry I have a question: If it is no useful to baseline template.

Thanks!

I don't understand the question. The exclude commands are used by config archive to determine if an interesting config changed has occurred on the device. By excluding those two commands, RME will ignore any configuration change which contains those commands.

This has no bearing on baseline templates. With baselines, you specify exactly the commands you want to appear on the device, and those which much NOT appear on the device.

It would be helpful to see exactly what you're trying to do.

Hi, Clarke

Sorry for the confusion. Below is our situation: Now we use baseline job to check if the important command have been configed on our switches, but for some special command,dot1x critical eapol etc, isn't fitable for 2950 series switches, so we have to do 2 templates, one for 2950 and one for others. Also 2 daily jobs have to be created.

We think maybe exclude command is a way to consolidate these 2 templates. But it seems doesn't work.

BTW, now when I add one deive in RME, in order to daily check this device config, I must create a new daily baseline job to replace the old one to add the device. It is too difficult, especially when we do this almost every two day. Any good idea?

No, exclude commands are not meant to help consolidate baseline templates. They aren't used by the baseline feature at all.

As for your second question, I am not clear exactly what you're trying to do. Are you saying that for each new device you add to LMS, you want to run a baseline comparison against its config? There is no easier way to do that other than creating the job against the device or devices added.

That said, you could schedule a periodic baseline job to run against a set of devices every day.

In fact, I already have a daily job to check all switches, but when I add one new device, I have to stop and delete the old job and create a new one to daily check all device including the new one, otherwise the new one will not be checked. Want to find a way to do this automatically :-)

Ah, this is not doable until LMS 3.0 when you can select groups instead of devices. In RME 4.1, the baseline compliance device selector gives you two options: Device Selector and Group Selector. When one selects Group Selector, one can choose a dynamic group on which to run the compliance check.

Hi, Clarke

If I create the job before the device adding in RME, even I use group to do the job, the job won't be applied to the new device. I have to delete the old job and create a new job to include the new device

That's correct. By default, RME's device selector allows you to choose devices. As I said, in RME 4.1, you can create a job based on groups instead (which will automatically include new devices). I had thought you were using RME 4.0.x, but I went back and looked, and you never mentioned a version. What version of RME are you using

Thanks, clarke,Yes, it is 4.0.6. So no remedy for it?

No, not in RME 4.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco