cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN Split issues

KarFrmEmc
Level 1
Level 1

We have a VSAN2 that consists of Tape libraries and their media servers sitting on one switch Fabric A. But we are splitting the VSAN2 onto two switches with logging into the same VSAN2 on Fabric B.

But at the time of migration when we moved the tape library ports to Fabric B's VSAN2 the port kept going online and offline. The switches are still running SAN 2.0x

We tried several things such as moving the ports on to a different blade within the fabric B and others but no results. So we had to backout. Can anyone pinpoint any other reasons? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

user_4444
Level 1
Level 1

The Robot for the Library will have to be on one Fabric, with the Media servers split across both Fabric's. So a re-scan from the Media servers is needed after the move to find the Library again.

Check for "Persistent Bindings" as that might be where the problem is? You might have to clear them before moving the servers.

Hope that helps.

How do you clear the persistent binding? I thought when the port is moved to Fabric B it is logging in with a new FCID so the persistance is not held.

On the server itself, if you are using Emulex then from HBAnywhere, Target Mapping. I can't remmeber where on the Qlogic (SANSurfer) tool.

It might not work but I would try it to see what happens when the server trys to login to the switch.

Does the servers have persistent binding?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: