Configure 1721 with dual WIC-1ENET modules?

Unanswered Question
Apr 2nd, 2008

Configure 1721 with dual WIC-1ENET modules?

I just bought a used Cisco 1721 with two WIC-1ENET modules installed. I also have two DSL modems connected via different ISPs. I configured the 1721 using ConfigMaker, and I can successfully connect to the Internet via either one of the DSL modems using the 1721 (with the other interface shutdown). But is it possible to connect to them both? I'm hoping to "tie" these two DSL lines together so they act like a single internet connection, but I don't know enough about how to configure such a thing or if it's even possible. Another funny thing is that I called Cisco and asked how to pay for some technical assistance, and the operator told me the serial number for my router is "invalid" and that she couldn't help me. Does that just mean the router is too old or does it mean that the serial number (on a little yellow bar code sticker next to the power switch) is somehow fake?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
JORGE RODRIGUEZ Wed, 04/02/2008 - 20:31

In your scenario since you have two different ISPs you can't bundle the two in a single logical entity such with multilink ppp, but you could use load balancing with OER and load balance between the two dsl lines.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808d2b72.shtml

As for the serial number I would suggest to call a cisco partner who may be able to assist you with smartnet services to get TAC support. Do a search in cisco for smartnet and should provide you with cisco partners based on your location.

[edit]

Actually here is the link for cisco partner locator

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do?POSITION=LINK&COUNTRY_SITE=us&CAMPAIGN=SMB+Summit&CREATIVE=Link+to+Partner+Locator+from+Solutions+Get+Started+Tab&REFERRING_SITE=CISCO%2ECOM+SMB

HTH

Rgds

Jorge

Actions

This Discussion