ICND1 & WLANs

Unanswered Question
Apr 3rd, 2008

Is it just me or is anybody else finding the WLAN chapter of the ICND1 book (ciscopress) hard to sink in! I've left this chapter till the end and i'm finding it the hardest topic to get a hang of. I've done stacks of wireless installations and implemented different types of security, its understanding the full concept of WPA, FCC, ITU-R, OFDM, different speeds, channels etc..... i guess i just need to keep reading and reading....

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
celticfc2007 Sat, 04/05/2008 - 00:26

Its one of those memorization chapters. I guess the important things to remember from it are:

*security standards (knowing how the technologies work for different standards and what methods they use)

*IEEE 802.11a,b,g features (channels, RF bands, speeds, etc)

*procedure for implementing an AP to a network

*troubleshooting (how to setup an ESS, what can effect signal quality-reflection etc)

*channels (how they work, and how to setup them up correctly in a scenario, etc)

*the different organizations, knowing that the WiFi Alliance is responsible for vendor interoperability, IEEE manages the 802.11x standard, and the FCC and other organizations regulate the RFs is probably all you need to know for that.

I really doubt there will be questions about DSSS or OFDM etc. I *think* Wendell includes these details for a complete picture of the technology as opposed to knowing them for the exam. Having said that, I haven't taken the test yet, I'm about 2 weeks out!

HTH, good luck!

grichardson661 Sat, 04/05/2008 - 08:50

Hi, thanks for this! Its starting to come together slowly, its just a case of reading and reading! I agree, its definatley one of those memorization chapters!! I suppose if I was implementing WLANs more often it would help! Anyway, best get back to the book!

Hope you pass! Booking my exam in a month...

Garry

sidhu.gurpreet@... Sat, 04/05/2008 - 21:55

Yes, you are right. I have also left these chapters to be read a the end of this book. As at the moment I am concentrating on RIP.

grichardson661 Sun, 04/06/2008 - 01:28

Yeah I spent a few weeks studying RIP1/2, got it now though! :-) Its easier than you think when it finally sinks in! Took me a while though! Still reading WLANS!... :-(

Actions

This Discussion