Views
Helpful
Replies

XP Gibabit Ethernet and DHCP

ergonullu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have XP clients with Gigabit Ethernet cards on them.After they use their ADSL connection at home they are coming to office somehow that clients could not get an IP address from my network till I make ipconfig release renew.Even I restarted the machine sometimes it could not take IP address

Any idea about this issue ?

Thx

Ersin

5 Replies 5

gojericho0
Level 1
Level 1

Ersin,

Where the clients receiving a APIPA address or did they previous ip address settings from their home adsl service not release the ip information?

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds familiar (but different problem).

Are these clients are laptops? What brand/model?

ergonullu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

This are desktop and notebook clients.But I can give you one hint...

Clients who has XP and Gigaethernet ethernet card.

I changed the ethernet card config 100 Mb Full but interesting Cisco interface became 100 Mb Half Duplex...it is funny.After that I manually changed the interface speed 100 duplex full and it worked fine...

Looks like negotiations problem between these ethernet card and cisco.

If I make ipconfig -release renew it works...

but restarting does not affect PC/NOTEBOOK does not get the IP address

Regards

Can you put the desktop and notebooks to auto negotiating? Your switchports are set to autonegotion by default. If you hardcode the pcs to full negotiating your 100 mb switchports will assume half duplex because they will not be recieving negotiation messages from the PC.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also check the switchports have portfast turned on .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: