Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot see MAC address of PC's WLAN NIC

s-durando
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a PC with a GigabitEthernet LAN NIC and a WLAN NIC.

The PC is connected to a Catalyst 3560 (switch A) and is also registered in an AP AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 connected to another Catalyst 3560 (switch B). Switch A and B are connected.

If I check the MAC address table of switch A and B, I find the PC's LAN NIC MAC address but not the PC's WLAN NIC MAC address.

As a result, the L2 frame directed to PC's WLAN NIC MAC address are flooded to all the ports of the switch.

Why this MAC address is not learnt by the switch?

Thanks a lot

Stefano

5 Replies 5

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Presume from the partcode, that you're not running lightweight.

Have you verified that the AP is correctly connected to the network (VLANs, Trunks, etc...) and that the client successfully associates and authenticates with the Access Point?

You should see all the clients mac address associated on that ap on the switchport the ap is connected to. If you do a show dot11 association, do you see the mac address?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There are two client associated and authenticated with che AP and I can see their MAC address in the 'show dot11 association' output.

Unfortunately in the Catalyst connected to the AP I can see only one of these two MAC addresses

Stefano

Yes, the AP is correctly connected to the Catalyst with a trunk that carries all VLANs.

Moreover, at this moment there are two clients associated and authenticated with the AP but I can see only one of these two MAC addresses in the MAC address table of the Catayst

Stefano

So if you get the mac address of the wireless card and do a show mac-table | in

there is no entry in the switch the ap is connected to?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card