Replies

T1

Ravilogin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

In our office we are using 1700 series router with 1 Mbps leased line. Now the

management wants to upgarde to 2 Mbps due to application usages. My concern is

even if we upgarde to 2 Mbps T1 link will support for 1.54 Mbps .. How to go about this issue. Will i get full use of

the 2mbps link from ISP?

Pls provide u r suggestion

Thanks

-login

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Login

Your post is not specific about what kind of connection you have and implies that it is a traditional leased line point to point. Is this the case? If you currently have a 1 Mbps line then is it a partial T1? If management want to upgrade capacity they could perhaps upgrade the existing line to full T1. As you comment that would get up to about 1.5 Mbps. If they really want 2 Mbps then they will need to order a second connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick Thanks for your post,

Could you pls explain abt the partial T1 and full T1 also the term traditional leased

line. Note:ISP - India.

Regards

login

login

A T1 uses 23 channels (sometimes called DS0). A full rate T1 the customer uses all 23 channels and the link operates at 1.5 Mbps. Sometimes the customer does not need the full bandwidth of T1 and will lease a partial T1 which utilizes only some of the channels and will operate at some lesser bandwidth (perhaps 512 Mbps or 768 Mbps).

A traditional leased line is a point to point serial link. I made the comment about traditional leased line because it was not clear to me what the nature of the WAN connection that you were speaking about. In today's environment the WAN may be a traditional leased line but it may also be something like ADSL or Metro Ethernet, or some other media. If your WAN had been one of these other media then upgrade from 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps might be possible without adding any additional interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI Rick,

Aparently speaking we are paying for the 1 mbps link to the provider we aren't sure the

technology involved behind the provider.But

the provider ready to provide the 2 mbps link

my question is if at all we take the service

as 2 mbps whether it will be useful for us?

if i configure the 1700 router serial interface bandwidth as 2048 will it utilise

the full service from the Provider? if so

how can i check the total 2mbps service from my side ?

Your suggestion will be higly appreciated.

Regards

login

"Note:ISP - India."

NB: Unsure about India, but they might have E1s instead of T1s. If they do, E1s can provide more bandwidth than T1s, 2 Mbps vs. 1.5 Mbps.

Hi Jo,

Thanks for you.

I read the point from the books you mentioned,my concern as an administator what are all the critcial point to know regarding T1 b4 communicating with the providers.

Regards

login

The critical point, is understanding what technology standard is being used. In this instance, whether T1 or E1 links are being used. Important because it determines the maximum bandwidth that can be provided on either one such link, 1.5 Mbps or 2 Mbps.

If you need more bandwidth than can be obtained by one T1 or E1, providers will often provide multiple T1s or E1s or a larger size, often the T3 or E3, about 45 Mbps and 34 Mbps, these too often can be used fractionally.

Ravi A, As per my concern you will not get any T1 Point-2-Point link in INDIA. Means that Indian ISP provides only "E" related b/w. Thanks Goutam. (pls rate if i am informative)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: