cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows networking over/across T1

birchlumber
Level 1
Level 1

This is probably easier than I expect, but I'm just trying to work out all issues before deployment.

We've got a pair of model 1841 routers with a WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 modular serial card in each. Our intent is to network two locations separated by 63 some miles "as the crow flies", or roughly 105 by best roads.

In a test environment, I've gotten hosts on either end of a T1 cross-over to be able to ping each other. The only question I have is what I may be missing to permit Active Directory, Exchange, file/print sharing, and Remote Desktop traffic to be routed across the point to point T1 connection from one network to another.

I'm suspecting it may simply be a case of configuring an IP helper address, and broadcast forwarding for TCP/UDP. Thing is, we can't afford much downtime if I miss anything, and I'm wondering just that... Am I missing anything? Any insight?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, "helper-address" can help in certain application but if remote desktop also doesn't work, you have a more general connectivity problem. Begin checking "show interfaces" and "show controllers t1" assuming you have this latter command.

meballard
Level 1
Level 1

The only thing you should need broadcast forwarding for is if you use DHCP (where the DHCP server is in a different layer 2 domain than the client). All of the other services can work across layer 3 boundaries just fine without any type of broadcast forwarding.

Are you using any kind of NAT, or do you have any ACLs applied to the interfaces? In a basic router setup, if you can ping across an interface, other services, especially remote desktop, should work by default. It would be helpful if you posted a copy of the config for the routers.

DHCP isn't much of a worry as we've got a DHCP server at both locations. My only concern has been to ensure that the other network applications (AD domain, Exchange, file sharing/services, and Remote Desktop) would travel across the T1 connections. If those work across layer three, it sounds like we should be good to go?

Thanks again.

Yes sir.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card