Views
Helpful
Replies

Select default routes in BGP

dd99onedd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company has 2 large sites with internet access and 2 small sites with NO internet access. All of the sites are connected via an MPLS cloud. I would like to inject the default routes from both large sites into the BGP MPLS cloud and configue the 2 small sites to pick one as primary and the other as secondary. I have attached a network diagram and here are the details:

SITE A:

-Pick Site B's default route as primary

-Pick Site D's default route as secondary

SITE B:

-Has internet connection

-Default route is injected into EBGP via a static route, redistribute into eigrp and advertise to EBGP via the network 0.0.0.0 command

SITE C:

-Pick Site D's default route as primary

-Pick Site B's default route as secondary

SITE D:

-Has internet connection

-Default route is injected into EBGP via a static route, redistribute into eigrp and advertise to EBGP via the network 0.0.0.0 command

Does anyone have any suggestions or bgp config examples on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

just one question are you sites inside a MPLS VPN and you manage the CE routes or you have control of PE/LSR routers at each site ?

If this your case you can change the weight or the local preference of incoming BGP advertisements to provide the selection hierarchy you want.

To be selective a route-map could be used and you can set the weight or the local preference for prefix 0.0.0.0/0 (using a prefix-list to specify it) and using also a match ip next-hop acl where you specify the site A or site B PE/LSR loopback address

Instead, if you are in a MPLS VPN and you can control only CE routers you have to ask your provider to do this job for you on the

PE routers of site A and B.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I can only control my CE routers. Thanks for the post.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card