cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI Address space advertised by Multiple ISP

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

say i get my own PI address space from Ripe and would like to multihome with two different ISP without using BGP, just have a default route to both ISP. How will i advertised my space on the net? Can i use on PI Address space between both ISP's?. The IP Addresses will be used for Loadbalacing our webservers.

Please advise

4 Replies 4

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you have your own Public IP Block but no Public ASN and need upstream redundancy.

For incoming traffic, you have to ask your upstream ISPs to advertise your Public IP Block. You will need to request Private ASN from both. Make sure both will agree on a single Private ASN.

For outgoing traffic, you can either live with the BGP or default route (if you use a single router to connect to both upstream).

Regards,

Dandy

so if i'm running BGP then i need ASN to advertised my own PI address space. right? without the ASN i cannot advertise my PI address space the i will need to reply on the IPS's?

what i'm going to do is get different address space from both ISP's and get them to advertise their own IP block range and just take a default route from both ISP's.

Francisco

Hi,

You mentioned in your original post that you have your own IP Address Block.

If both ISP agree that you can use 65001 as your BGP ASN to peer with them, you can use this to advertise your IP Address Block to them. In turn, they will add this line in their BGP configuration peering to you "neighbor x.x.x.x remove-private-as". This will makes them advertise your IP Address Block to internet.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card