cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame relay PVC is active and up, but data traffic is not passing

vijay.gaganam
Level 1
Level 1

We had to upgrade from a 1700 series router to 2801 router. The 1700 router had a WIC-1T with an external CSU/DSU. This was replaced with a 2801 router with VWIC-1MFT-T1 card (integrated CSU/DSU). The idea is to elimiate external CSU/DSU. There was a frame-relay link on the router which use to work fine with 1700 router in place.

After upgrading to the 2801 router with VWIC card, there are issues with frame-relay. The PVC link is up and active, but traffic is not passing. See the logs attached for the running config and relavent logs. We are not even able to ping the serial IP of the directly connected router.

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

to further troubleshoot this issue try the following:

use show frame-relay map to verify mapping on the PVC

use debug frame-relay packets to see outgoing frames

use debug frame-relay

to see incoming received frame-relay frames

Frame relay LMI with the local switch looks like OK

HTH

Giuseppe

hostname#show frame-relay map

Serial0/1/0:0.800 (up): point-to-point dlci, dlci 800(0x320,0xC800), broadcast, IETF

status defined, active

hostname#

The other debugs you requested can only be collected when i schedule a downtime. It might take a while.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Vijay

I have looked at the file that you posted. Can you tell us a bit more about the upgrade from the 1700 to the 2801? Did anything change about the serial line (other than replacing the external CSU/DSU with the internal one)?

Also can you tell us what parameters were configured on the external CSU/DSU for the 1700? I am wondering if timeslots 1 to 4 is the correct selection.

Most of the indicators in what you have posted look like a non-functioning line. The only thing I see that looks positive about it is that show frame-relay lmi does show sent and received:

Num Status Enq. Sent 816 Num Status msgs Rcvd 816

Would you run debug frame-relay lmi and post its output?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you very much for the quick response.

There is no change in the config while upgrading, only CSU/DSU is removed and router is directly connected to demark.

As per the timeslots are concerned, i need to check with the ISP. This is a very good thought.

I cannot get the debugs outputs right now because the site is running with 1700 router. I need to schedule a downtime and connect the 2801 router. If there are any other outputs that you would like to look at please post it. I can get it at one shot.

Vijay

It might also be helpful to get the output of show cdp interface (to verify that the frame relay subinterface is running cdp) and the output of show cdp neighbor. If the subinterface is running cdp and if there is connectivity there should be a neighbor. If there is not a neighbor (and the subinterface is running cdp) then it points to a problem on the connection - which is what most of the output suggests.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the response, i will try that as well.

We have verified the config on CSC/DSU. Four DS0's are allocated starting from DS0 one. All the other config is also verified, like framing, linecode etc.

It finally turned out that the slot on the router is faulty. The VWIC was moved to another slot and it started worked fine.

Vijay

Thank you for posting back to the forum and telling that the problem was solved and what the problem turned out to be. It is very helpful in the forum when people can read about problems and can read what the problem was and how the problem was solved.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card