cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 4.0.6 inventory report for module names

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to user report, a custom report template set up with Inventory Group (Module), Attribute (Model Name), Operator (contains), Value (All), reports nothing under Model Name for a large number of IOS cat6ks and some CatOS cat6ks. Is there any known bug with this feature? Is this a problem of the device OS not populating the requisite MIB values? Switching to Attribute (Vendor Type) seems only a marginal improvement, since the Value list includes at least four "1"s and many entries such as cevCat6kWsc6kvtt that are hardly easily to reconcile with CLI "show module" outputs.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, 12.1 code. Cat6500s didn't support the entPhysicalModelName object until 12.2 code. A workaround is to use module description from the detailed device report. Unfortunately, this is not reportable in custom reports (yet). However, this information is exported via DEE (e.g. cwcli export inventory -u admin -p admin -device SWITCH).

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I created a custom report on RME 4.0.6 with:

Module:Model Name

When I run this against a 6509 running 12.2(18)SXF10 and a 6506 running 8.5(3), I get valid Model Names for all modules. Attached is a partial screenshot of my report.

The problem is ~40% of the cat6ks show up with blank Model Name for all modules, such as this one:

Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1 2 Catalyst 6000 supervisor 2 (Active) WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE SAD######GU

2 48 48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule WS-X6148-GE-TX SAL######H5

5 16 SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC WS-X6516-GBIC SAL######WZ

6 16 SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC WS-X6516-GBIC SAL######KL

7 6 Firewall Module WS-SVC-FWM-1 SAD######A8

9 48 48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule WS-X6148-GE-TX SAD######NV

Mod MAC addresses Hw Fw Sw Status

--- ---------------------------------- ------ ------------ ------------ -------

1 x.x.95e0 to x.x.95e1 3.2 6.1(4) 12.1(23)E3 Ok

2 x.x.cab0 to x.x.cadf 6.1 7.2(1) 8.3(2.10)TFW Ok

5 x.x.4698 to x.x.46a7 5.7 7.2(1) 8.3(2.10)TFW Ok

6 x.x.c84c to x.x.c85b 5.7 7.2(1) 8.3(2.10)TFW Ok

7 x.x.dae6 to x.x.daed 4.0 7.2(1) 3.1(3) Ok

9 x.x.2c60 to x.x.2c8f 5.0 7.2(1) 8.3(2.10)TFW Ok

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-JK2SV-M), Version 12.1(23)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 30-Apr-05 05:44 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x40008F90, data-base: 0x41D3E000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(4r)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BOOTLDR: c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-JK2SV-M), Version 12.1(23)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Ah, 12.1 code. Cat6500s didn't support the entPhysicalModelName object until 12.2 code. A workaround is to use module description from the detailed device report. Unfortunately, this is not reportable in custom reports (yet). However, this information is exported via DEE (e.g. cwcli export inventory -u admin -p admin -device SWITCH).

Could the DEE workaround fetch the correct module description for 12.2 and later, so that'd simplify the info gathering in one step?

For devices which are managed by the ENTITY-MIB, RME uses entPhysicalDescr to populate the Module Description. So the DEE output for all 6500s should contain the entPhysicalDescr which includes the module part number.

here's the output after switching to Vendor Type.

Joe,

you mentioned the fact that (yet) not all fields form the DDR report can be used to create a custom report. Do you know what the timeline is to implement this feature - and will it include really all fields from DDR at last?

The first time I saw the PSIRT report from RME it also contained 'Vendor Type' instead of 'Module Name' which for a customer is useless - I do not know if this changed meanwhile. But I think Cisco should take care that a user can get the real 'Module Name' for each device and module regardless which MIB is supported by the device (e.g with a mapping file that gets updated by the install proc of the device packages).

This is a main point for many customers!

My bug was "fixed" in RME 4.1.1, but they didn't implement it completely. It's now on the table for RME 4.2 due out this summer.

Did you raise this vendor type issue with TAC or your (or your customer's) account team?

I talked to the PM directly (A. Puri) when he did the presentation of LMS 3.0 (Stuttgart,Nov. 22,2008) and he told me that he will take care of this issue.

You spoke with him in the future? Who got elected president?

:-)

Ahh, - I didn't realized that, it was all so clear! But now I know why I am waiting for the patch implementation.

For the other issue, you should open a new thread as it is going beyond the issue in this one...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: