cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

501 PIX - Slow Cable Internet

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 501 PIX hooked up to my cable modem. I have a 3 MB cable internet connection. In the last week or so things have really seemed to slow down. If I hook a laptop up directly to the cable modem I usually get a 2 - 2.5 MB when doing a speed test on http://www.speedtest.net/ When I hook my PIX up to my modem and hooked up my laptop to the pix, my speed is cut in 1/2 or more. Any ideas of what to check? Thanks!

2 Replies 2

pstebner10
Level 1
Level 1

Mike-

Did you check your duplex settings on the inside and outside interfaces of the PIX?

paul

I played around with the duplex settings.

Actually turned out to be the cable modem. Not sure why, but that's what it was. If I hooked up a computer directly to the cable modem the speed was fine, if I did internet connection sharing off of a computer directly connected to the modem the 2nd computer was still fine. But if I put any kind of router (tried my PIX, a Cisco 1760 and a Linksys WRT54G), all computers would end up running around 600kb or less on a 3 MB internet connection!

Cable company swapped out my Surfboard 4100 series for a Surfboard 5100 series and now I'm fine!

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card