cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB and 2800 routers

leighcrawford1
Level 1
Level 1

I get an error %USB_HOST_STACK-3-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_FAILED : USB flash failed to pass 'Ready' test when I connect a 2gig usb drive to a router with version 12.4(11)T4.

Can anyone suggest any remedy?

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leigh

according to this link the max size USB supported is 256MB. try a smaller USB drive.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6247/prod_qas0900aecd80232483.html

[edit] it might also be a USB version issue. According to the documentation that I am seeing the 2800 supports version 1.1 USB. What version of USB is the drive that you are trying to use?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

"[edit] it might also be a USB version issue. According to the documentation that I am seeing the 2800 supports version 1.1 USB."

USB 2.0 devices should work in 1.1 ports; normally the notable feature loss being the port rate; i.e. 480 Mbps to 12 (or 1.5) Mbps. Rick's suggestion on using 256 MB or smaller is likely what you need to do. (Also note, I recall a formatting issue, as in only FAT might be supported, not FAT32.)

Actually even largish sizes work, see below a 1GB one:

bws-cme#sh usbflash0: all

No files on device

******** USB Flash Geometry/Format Info ********

USB CARD GEOMETRY

Sector Size 512

Total Sectors 2030592

USB CARD FORMAT

Number of FATs 2

Number of Sectors per FAT 247

Sectors Per Cluster 32

Number of Clusters 63438

Number of Data Sectors 2030016

Logical Base FAT Sector 1

Logical Base Root Sector 495

Logical Base Data Sector 527

What you want is a good brand flash and if doesn't work try another brand.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

Agree with Paolo, tried many types until having a 4GB Kingston working.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Well I have had some success. Yes I can get a smaller 128Mb 1.1 USB to work. However I can copy the IOS to the USB after reformatting the drive but when I go to reinsert the USB it comes up with the message of reformatting the USB drive to recongize it The message is

usbflash1 contains unexpected values in partition table or boot sector. Device needs formatting before use!

any suggestions

Thanks

Leigh

Keigh

Would I be correct in assuming that: "I can copy the IOS to the USB after reformatting the drive" indicates that the reformatting was on the PC? Try formatting the USB on the router and then use it to copy IOS image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

I have been formatting using the router only.

After I format the drive I can copy the IOS to the USB drive. When I remove the drive and reinsert the USB drive the router asks to format the drive again.

Thanks

Leigh

Leigh (sorry for the typo error last time)

I am sorry that I misunderstood the previous reference about formatting the drive. If you are formatting on the router, then copy an image file, and when you insert in the router again it wants to format the drive again is very odd behavior. I am not sure that I have a good suggestion about this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes Rick you are correct in what is happening.

Can you tell me what is the differnce between a Cisco USB flash memory module and an ordinary USB drive?

Leigh

Leigh

I do not have any real experience with the USB drives in Cisco routers and can not explain the difference between a Cisco USB and an ordinary USB. Perhaps some others in the forum can address this?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

As to other suggestions, can't say any will help, but you might upgrade the IOS to 12.4.15T4 (from your 12.4.11T4), downgrade IOS to 12.4.19, and/or upgrade the ROMMOM to 12.4(13r)T6 if not already at that level.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card