cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1400 signal strength

boshardy1
Level 1
Level 1

I am just wanting to check and see if I have good signal strength, hard to find documentation.

I am using 802.11a with the 1400 outdoor bridges. Signal strength is -35. I am used to 802.11g where it is usually -45 to -65 that is considered good, what does it mean that I am lower?

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

-35 is relatively a good signal strength when compared to -45 to -65. Negative numbers should be looked in a reverse order.

Agree, -35 is stronger than -45, as in 35 below zero is warmer than 45 below. :)

mcorliss
Level 1
Level 1

I would also think that you would be connecting at 54mb with no problem. Do a

"show dot11 associations all" command in priviledge mode to get more details about your connection. It should show you how fast you're connected.

sdt
Level 1
Level 1

These signal strengths are dBm values. The dBm is the logarithmic ratio of received signal strength to 1 mW. -35dBm is about 0.3microwatts, -45dBm is 0.03 microwatts and -65 is 0.0003 microwatts. So the -35 received signal is actually 10 times stronger than the -45 signal, and 1,000 times stronger than the -65 signal. Thats a strong signal!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card