cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Controller Required?

sillynetguy
Level 1
Level 1

Currently developing a solution to convert simple Windows wired domain to wireless.

Considering using ten Aironet 1100 APs for 200 Windows XP clients on a single network/domain. Clients will authenticate using certificates with RADIUS (IAS) over EAP-TLS. Each Aironet will support 20 clients and will be wired back to the RADIUS server.

What Cisco software is required on the 1100s and what WLAN controller (if any) is required?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

If you plan on using the Cisco Unified Wireless Solution, you would require a controller. Different models supports different number of AP's. For 10 Ap's which would be required in your place, a 4402 controller which supports 12 AP's should be a good choice.

The AP's download the code from the controller and hence just need a recovery image. The controller would come preloaded with the software required and you can upgrade to th latest code. Please refer toe the documentation below.

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/product_at_a_glance0900aecd805df476.pdf

--

Pushkar

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Unified Wireless Solution a requirement for my situation? Can the 1100s operate in a standalone configuration?

You can operate these AP's in the autonomous(standalone) mode but the time spend in management and setup will be quite large as compared to using a controller. The unified solution with a controller is much easier to deploy and manage in the long run.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me approach this differently.

I'm designing a solution to convert our wired network/domain to wireless using Cisco products, and I need to determine all the Cisco pieces/components required to implement. Is there a system/sales engineer with whom I can discuss specifics?

Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum. I work for a US govt. agency overseas and I have no points of contact for Cisco.

Thank you!

Might be able to help, what is your email.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: