cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Web Filtering

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir, i have 300 systems inside my network, all those have web access also. Here my requirement is to block some specific web sites and also i want to log the deatils about the users who are trying to use those sites. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chickman
Level 1
Level 1

Just to put this out there, you could use a free service to assist. Take a look at OpenDNS, www.OpenDNS.com. This will provide you with similar ability as variety of pay services. The downside to this, you will not be able to report on user-website use. It will though give you information about website attempts and such.

Just as an additional resource.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

a.ajiboye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can block access to web sites and logs reports about sites blocked or allowed through the firewall by implementing the filtering feature of Cisco firewall. This is done by integrating the Firewall with either the Websense or Secure Computing web filtering software.

Can it be done with just Pix or ASA?

The answer is a NO unless you are willing to

buy Websense or N2h2 (or whatever they call it now) as the previous poster say.

Can it be done with other firewall vendors and

NOT requiring a 3rd parties software such

as Websense or N2H2?

The answer is YES if you use checkpoint

firewalls. You can block specific sites by

domains and with URI resource logging, it

will meet your requirements.

CCIE Security

Thank you all.....i hv one more doubt is there, we are having a Sonicwall 2040 pro is in our network, we want to enable url blocking in it, sonicwall permits url blocking by itself. Is it possible to over ride this blocking rule by some proxy softwares...??

chickman
Level 1
Level 1

Just to put this out there, you could use a free service to assist. Take a look at OpenDNS, www.OpenDNS.com. This will provide you with similar ability as variety of pay services. The downside to this, you will not be able to report on user-website use. It will though give you information about website attempts and such.

Just as an additional resource.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: