Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address binding with MAC

tarun.shee
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Plz. send the config. How to bind IP address with MAC.

8 Replies 8

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

TST-POP1-ACC01(config)#mac-address-table static

HTH

Sam

Sam, I'm sorry to contradict, but the mac-address-table static will make a static binding between MAC address and a port, but not between a MAC address and an IP address.

Setting a static mapping between IP address and MAC address depends on what you want to achieve.

If your hosts are configured using DHCP, then you can make static bindings on the DHCP server, although I have to say that if you have a large number hosts then it is easier on a Microsoft server than it is to do it on a router. Also, you should consider how much maintenance burden you want to give yourself. It depends on your environment.

If you want to bind an IP address to a switchport, then that is tricky. You could put an IP access list on the port (yes, even on some layer-2 switches), as well as implementing static port-security, which binds the MAC address to the switchport (but only within the single switch). But again that could be a maintenance overhead, depending on how dynamic your environment is.

If you don't use DHCP, you can still do things that prevent users from abusing an IP address. You can set a static ARP entry in your routers. That will prevent any rogue mapping from getting outside the VLAN, but does nothing for the switching within the VLAN.

Sorry, the options are numerous, but if you can explain what you are trying to achieve maybe we can whittle it down a bit.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

No Problems kevin !

I was bit fast on the trigger, so will stand corrected :-)

Sam

hi,

I am to configure statically MAC address to IP address binding.

Ple. help

Hi Tarun,

Kevin is asking what purpose you want to achieve with mac-address to IP address binding.

The solution depends on your purpose.

Cheers:

Istvan

hi,

I am to configure Pc's MAC address to IP address binding in my router.

Plz. Help.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You mean this?

arp ip-address mac-address arpa

arp 10.10.10.10 HHHH.HHHH.HHHH arpa

Where H is a hex character from 0 - F

Regards,

Dandy

Hello,

I did this on a CISCO 1841 ROUTER ,and it does not work

What can prevent that this work ?

Thank you in advance for your help

Best Regards,

Didier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco