Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS dynamic route leaking

cparker72
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for a way to leak routes from MPLS vpns into the global routing table.

I am familiar with how this is done using static routes, but I have run into a situation where using static routes causes a problem when there is a network outage.

I am using a frame encapsulation on redundant OC-3 that carry the MPLS vpns on various DLCIs. The frame is set up with no keepalives (it isnt true frame, just used as a way to subdivide the OC3). So if the one of the OC3s go down the POS interfaces still show up/up and the static routes stay in the table.

I need to find a way to leak the routes from the vpns into the global table that doesnt use a static route so when the routes leave the vrf's table in the vpn due to a circuit outage, the routes leaked to the global table do not persist due to the fact they are tied to an interface that never goes down.

3 Replies 3

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

ip route vrf TEST x.x.x.x y.y.y.y next-hop global

regards

shivlu

Perhaps you could use some form of object tracking?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/dial/configuration/guide/hdbackup.html#wp1057186

I have not tested this, but maybe you could track your interfaces and when they go down the static route shoud disapear. Is this what you want to achieve?

Paul

Paul,

That's a good idea using IP SLA, I might use that.

Currently my thinking is to leak the routes from the vrf into the global table at a P router that can see the routes coming from both the PE with the active link and the PE with the redundant link. When there is a failure on the active PE's link to the CE, those routes will leave the vrf and the P router will only see the backup routes.

I'm going to try this out by putting a loopback interface on a P router and putting that loopback in the vrf. Then I will point my statics to that loopback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: