cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need MultiLink Frame Relay to work on 3640 router

netspec-dineh
Level 1
Level 1

Have a 3640 with 64MB DRAM/16MB Flash running ver12.2-46a. The command "interface mfr 1" gets a invalid syntax. But, docs say feature intergrated in ver12.2(8)T. Pls help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problem and thank you for the explanation. If you need a very reliable memory vendor, contact me at the address present in my profile and I'll forward his email. Good luck!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, IOS "T train" releases have more features. Currently you have non-T, also called mainline.

Hope this helps please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately, all the IOS 12.3 "T" versions (which are ED) currently available for the 3640 require a flash of 32MB & 96MB of DRAM (i only have 16MB flash & 64MB DRAM). There is a "IP" version (min=64MB/16MB), but I understand that it does not have MFR capability. I have been told i must use IP Plus. So, I am checking about for memory upgrade now.

Won't help on memory, but if the minimum was noted as a 12.2(8)T, likely any 12.3(x) should work. I.e. shouldn't need 12.3(x)T.

I have tried two 12.3 versions. First, the ver 12.3-26(GD). No "interface MFR" command was available. Then, tried the 12.3.14.T7(ED) and did see the "interface MFR (n)" command! But when entered, I still get that confounded invalid syntax error. Odd. I see the command, but it does not work.

Both these versions are the latest in thier folders. Note: I have to use the "IP" versions (-i-mz) as the "IP PLUS" versions (-is-mz) are over 16MB in size. Flash is only 16MB.

I am not sure whether you need to use only MFR. The other way to do multilink over FR links is by creating virtual templates

eg. config

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/0/0:0

description " Framerelay PVC DLCI NO : 110 "

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

load-interval 30

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

!

interface Serial0/0/0:0.1 point-to-point

description " Framerelay PVC DLCI NO : 110 "

frame-relay interface-dlci 110 ppp Virtual-Template1

interface Serial0/1/0:0

description " Framerelay PVC DLCI NO : 113 "

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

load-interval 30

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

!

interface Serial0/1/0:0.1 point-to-point

description " Framerelay PVC DLCI NO : 113 "

frame-relay interface-dlci 113 ppp Virtual-Template2

interface Virtual-Template1

no ip address

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Virtual-Template2

no ip address

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

Narayan

I'd like to invite the person that has low rated Joseph and myself, to think better and the refrain next time, because the information given by both of us was 100% correct, either you like it or not.

Hmm. Please accept my apologizes on that. This is my first post and I did not get that right. I do not know how to revise my error; sorry.

I did try the versions you both pointed out but found the only versions I could load with my limited memory did not have this needed feature. But, your pointers did get me on a good path to better understand what I am dealing with here and how to better use the Cisco tools...

So, I rated your last post high since I agree w/ your response re: that and in fact all your input has helped me better educated on accessing info about this stuff. Thx.

No problem and thank you for the explanation. If you need a very reliable memory vendor, contact me at the address present in my profile and I'll forward his email. Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card